Roku Ultra 4800R – Roku’s fastest, most powerful player delivers streaming movies, shows, sports, and music to your TV (includes earbuds)
Access to the most shows and movies — in full 4K and Dolby Vision
There are so many TV options out there that it’s hard to keep up! And now even blockbuster movies are skipping theaters and going straight streaming services — so you want it all to look and sound its best. The Roku Ultra connects to your TV and serves up the largest selection of video content I’ve seen. That includes the most complete list of 4K and HDR options available in one streaming box. And the 2020 version is the first Roku player that supports content with the advanced HDR format Dolby Vision.
Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video all offer shows in Dolby Vision. Just be warned — ever since I connected a Roku to my LG OLED TV, I’ve become spoiled. Now I only want to watch visually-striking shows like The Mandalorian, The Boys, and Stranger Things in full 4K and HDR.
Faster processing and stronger Wi-Fi
This latest version of the Roku Ultra offers the company’s fastest processing yet, so you should notice smoother performance and less waiting for content to load. They’ve included a more powerful dual-band Wi-Fi antenna, too, so you can get a stronger wireless signal. Especially helpful if your wireless router is further away from your TV setup. (Of course, I always recommend getting as close as you can — or better yet, making a wired connection via the Ethernet port.)
Customize the remote’s “1” and “2” button to instantly pull up a favorite channel or playlist.
Do “smart TV” owners need a Roku?
While most 4K TVs have some streaming services baked in, Roku offers the most complete list of 4K options I’ve seen. Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and Vudu are all available in 4K. New video services and AppleTV+ are also available with 4K and HDR content.
Plus there’s a ridiculous amount of standard HD streaming channels – movie channels, news, kids, sports, you name it. I use my Roku to watch baseball games on MLB.TV and order UFC pay-per-views on ESPN+. I can’t watch either on my Smart TV without the Roku.
“Point anywhere” remote with voice search
Roku’s remote communicates over Wi-Fi. That means you can store this player out of sight and still have full control. Hit the “Mic” button on the remote, and just say what show or movie you’re looking for.
Roku also includes a pair of earbuds that connect to the remote, so you can watch TV without disturbing others. I find that’s a nice feature to have for late-night movies and west coast sports. I can hear dialogue or play-by-play clearly, and I’m not waking up any of my kids.
My Roku experience: It’s not just for cord cutters
While I’ve dabbled in cord-cutting, I’m currently a cable subscriber. Still, I call the Roku I bought for my bedroom TV the best bang-for-my-buck purchase I’ve made in some time. It gives me on-demand shows from my cable channels like FX, HBO, AMC, and more. So I can watch Fargo or Better Call Saul on my own time — without having to rent another cable box.
Remote app with personal listening mode
Roku’s free mobile app lets you operate the player using your Apple® or Android™ device. You can setup your player, choose what you want to watch, and control pretty much everything from your phone. You can also connect headphones and hear TV sound.
- plays streaming video and music services to your TV and home audio setup
- includes a pair of earbuds for personal TV listening
- connects to the remote or your smartphone
- quad-core processor for fast, smooth video streaming
- full 4K video resolution for use with Ultra HD TVs
- 4K video upscaling for 1080p and 720p content
- supports lower resolutions when used with non-4K TVs
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
- supports HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision formats
- Dolby® and DTS® sound pass-through
- supports Dolby Atmos (connected Dolby Atmos-enabled sound bar or receiver may require software update)
- Apple AirPlay® 2 to stream music, videos, and photos from iOS device (firmware update required)
Streaming Video and Music Channels (some subscriptions or purchases required):
- 4K/ UHD video channels like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV+, HBO Max, and Vudu
- HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, AppleTV+, and more available with HDR
- Peacock, Paramount+ (formally CBS All Access), SHOWTIME, STARZ, Telemundo, AMC+, and other movie/TV channels
- YouTube, Tubi, PBS, CW, ABC, and other free video channels
- Disney Now, Nick Jr, Noggin, PBS KIDS and other children’s programming
- ESPN+, DAZN, B/R Live, NBC Sports, FOX Sports GO, and other sports channels
- MLB, NBA, WWE Network, and NHL streaming channels
- live streaming cable TV alternatives
- SlingTV and Hulu+ Live TV
- Spotify®, Pandora®, and other streaming music services
Enhanced Remote Features:
- redesigned “point-anywhere” remote with voice search
- operates player via Wi-Fi direct so you can store player out of sight
- search by title, actor, or director via voice command
- connect headphones to remote for personal TV listening
- remote finder function sends out audible signal so you can locate your lost changer
- free downloadable Roku app (available from the App Store and Google Play) lets you control the player using your smart device
- search and choose video channels and control playback
- connect headphones to your phone and listen to TV audio without disturbing others
- “unbiased search” finds free or lowest-cost movies and TV shows across the top streaming channels
- “night mode” curbs louder noises for late-night viewing
- works with Alexa and Google Assistant (app required)
- built-in IR receiver for use with universal remote
Connections and General Info:
- 1 HDMI 2.0b output
- connected 4K TV and/or receiver must have an HDCP 2.2-compatible HDMI input
- built-in 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi for fast video streaming and extended wireless range
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- USB 3.0 port to play music, movies, and images from thumb drives
- microSD input (apps load faster with memory card inserted)
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- Ethernet port for wired internet connectivity
- 4-15/16″W x 1″H x 5″D
- weight: 5.9 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed internet connection
- MFR # 4800R
What’s in the box:
Roku Ultra 4800R owner’s manual
- Network audio/video streaming player
- AC power adapter (attached 57″ DC cord)
- Remote control
- 2 “AA” batteries
- 58″ HDMI cable
- In-ear headphones
- 3 Pair of eartips (S/M/L)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product Information
There are no reviews yet.